Monday, June 18, 2007

From Troy Hartley

Hi all,

My apologies for coming so late to this party. I've been waiting for my summer work travel plans to settle a bit so that I would know whether we can make it to the reunion or not. Unfortunately it is not looking too good right now. I am a research faculty and administrator at the University of New Hampshire and have a research trip to Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island that currently is scheduled for Aug 3-22. It is unlikely to change, but if it does, I'll let you know.
I glanced over Skip's blog briefly tonight. That was fun and I'm glad to see so many people interested and posting materials. It looks like there will be a lot of class activities and participation over the homecoming weekend. Great job!
I guess I win the class "Guess your classmate's future pool"¦ and you all laughed at me when I said Skip would be a pastor, Dale would have long beard & ride a Harley in S-F, and I would have more gray hair than the both of them.
I've attached a photo from last fall. My wife, Diane, and I have been married for 15yrs, we won the price for more recent newlyweds at the10th reunion. We waited eight years before having children. So our kids are still little. Emma just finished 1st grade and Griffin is in pre-school. Emma is a monster swimmer for the Exeter Swim Team. I think she can backstroke faster than I can run. Griffin hasn't decided whether he wants to throw and bat left handed or right, it's sort of depends upon his mood at the moment, I guess. Switch-hitters are good though. He's typical little boy who likes to sail his pirates hip, canons blasting, into Emma's fairytopia land or any thing that resembles a gathering of dolls.
We've been in NH for 5.5 yrs now. I am a research faculty in natural resource and environmental policy. Most of my work lately has been on marine and fisheries policy and management. I also am an administrator of a research funding organization at UNH that funds a wide range of biological, oceanographic, fishing gear design engineering, and socio-economic studies on the Gulf of Maine. I work some with the local fishermen and get good deals on my lobster from the local coops. Diane is the deputy director of a non-profit workforce housing organization in the seacoast area, advocating for and building workforce and affordable housing, housing for starting school teachers, police officers, fire fighters, etc.
Prior to NH, we were in the Washington DC area for 2 years, after spending 6 years in Ann Arbor & Detroit, Michigan where I did my Ph.D. work. We were in the DC area prior to Michigan too. I worked for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in hazardous waste enforcement and policy for 6 years. So We've bounced around a little bit. We're less interested in moving so much now that the family is bigger. But research faculty are paid on grants that we raise and are not tenured or tenure-track faculty paid with money available in a university's budget. So, there have been a couple times since we've been in NH that we thought we would have to move on to another job and it is likely there will be more such funding uncertainty in the future. But that's life and we ride the funding wave.
I look forward to keeping track of the reunion planning and if my research travel plans change, we will try to make it.

Cheers, Troy

Troy W. Hartley
Associate Director, Northeast Consortium
Research Asst Prof of Natural Resource & Environmental Policy
Dept Resource Econ & Development

No comments: